PATH statement on gender equity in health
At PATH, we believe that gender equity is essential for achieving optimal health outcomes for all individuals and communities. Gender equity means that everyone has the opportunity to achieve their full health potential, regardless of their sex, gender identity, or gender expression.
Unfortunately, gender inequities persist in many areas of health, from access to care to the development of new treatments and technologies. For example, women, girls, and people who identify as LGBTQ+ often face barriers to accessing quality health care because of discrimination, stigma, and limited resources. These barriers have profound effects on the health and well-being of individuals and their communities—even leading to preventable deaths—and are compounded by additional inequities, stigmas, and barriers created by racism, disability, employment status, vocation, marital status, income, and other factors.
Solutions and actions to end gender inequity must account for these intersecting root causes of health disparities. That's why PATH is committed to advancing gender equity in health by working to:
- Ensure that everyone has access to comprehensive, affordable, and high-quality health care services, regardless of their sex, gender identity, or gender expression.
- Promote gender-responsive and inclusive health systems that meet the unique needs of women, girls, men, and boys across the full spectrum of gender identity, expression, and sexual orientation.
- Conduct research that addresses gender-related health disparities and develops innovative solutions to improve health outcomes for all.
- Advocate for policies and programs that promote gender equity in health and address the root causes of gender inequities.
- Collaborate with partners across sectors to promote gender equity in health and ensure that everyone can achieve their full health potential.
We believe that gender equity is foundational to health equity and essential for achieving the best possible health outcomes for all individuals and communities. By working together to promote gender equity in health, we can create a healthier, more equitable world for everyone.
PATH's work on gender equity in health
PATH works to strengthen health equity through increased access to gender-responsive health services and innovations.