Resource type: Peer-reviewed journal
Total results with these characteristics: 595
- Development of Vaccines Against Meningococcal Disease
This article, published in the Lancet, reviews the currently available vaccines against meningococcal disease, as well as research and development efforts toward the development of additional vaccines against the disease. ABSTRACT …
Author: Jódar L, Feavers IM, Salisbury D, Granoff DM
- Direct and Indirect Effects of Rotavirus Vaccination Upon Childhood Hospitalizations in 3 US Counties, 2006–2009
This article, published in Clinical Infectious Diseases, is about an active, population-based surveillance for rotavirus gastroenteritis hospitalizations in three United States counties to assess the impact of rotavirus vaccines. The study …
Author: Payne DC, Staat MA, Edwards KM, et al.
- Disease Burden Due to Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) in the First Two Years of Life in an Urban Community in Bangladesh
Published in Infection and Immunity, a cohort of 321 children were followed from birth up to two years to determine the incidence of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) in Bangladesh. Children with ETEC diarrhea were underweight and stunted …
Author: Qadri F, Saha A, Ahmed T
- Dissociation Between Serum Neutralizing and Glycoprotein Antibody Responses of Infants and Children Who Received Inactivated Respiratory Syncytial Virus Vaccine
In the 1960s a respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) vaccine was evaluated in infants and young children. Vaccinees who received formalin-inactivated RSV during early infancy developed more serious lower-respiratory-tract disease when infected with the …
Author: Murphy BR, Prince GA, Walsh EE, et al.
- Distribution of Rotavirus Genotypes in Europe, 2004-2005: The REVEAL Study
Rotavirus genotypes were identified in several European countries using ELISA tests, and investigators determined that G1–G4 and G9 genotypes were responsible for the majority of cases. Citing these results, the authors suggest that rotavirus …
Author: Van Damme P, Giaquinto C, Maxwell M, Todd P, Van der Wielen M
- Distributional Impact of Rotavirus Vaccination in 25 GAVI Countries: Estimating Disparities in Benefits and Cost-Effectiveness
This article, published in Vaccine, reports on an analysis that combines the results of a country-level model of rotavirus vaccination published elsewhere with data from Demographic and Health Surveys on within-country patterns of vaccine coverage …
Author: Rheingans R, Atherly D, Anderson J
- DNA Vaccine Delivery by Densely-Packed and Short Microprojection Arrays to Skin Protects Against Vaginal HSV-2 Challenge
This article, published in Vaccine, reports on a study that investigates the tolerability, immunogenicity, and efficacy of a plasmid DNA vaccine encoding the extracellular domain of gD2 using the Nanopatch™, a recently devised silicon …
Author: Kask AS, Chen X, Marshak JO, et al.
- DNA Vaccines Expressing Pneumococcal Surface Protein A (PspA) Elicit Protection Levels Comparable to Recombinant Protein
This article, published in the Journal of Medical Microbiology, provide results that show that DNA vaccines expressing PspA are able to elicit protection levels comparable to recombinant protein, even though total anti-PspA IgG response is …
Author: Ferreira DM, Miyaji EN, Oliveira MLS, et al.
- A Dose-Escalation Safety and Immunogenicity Study of Live Attenuated Oral Rotavirus Vaccine 116E in Infants: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial
This study, published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases, tested the neonatal rotavirus candidate vaccine 116E in a double-blind, placebo-controlled dose-escalation trial in India. Two doses of the Vero cell-adapted vaccine were evaluated in …
Author: Bhandari N, Sharma P, Taneja S, et al.
- Duration of Protection of Pentavalent Rotavirus Vaccination in Nicaragua
This article, published in Pediatrics, summarizes a case-control study conducted at four hospitals in Nicaragua to evaluate the duration of protection after rotavirus vaccination among eligible infants. The pentavalent rotavirus vaccine …
Author: Patel M, Pedreira C, De Oliveira LH, et al.
- Dynamic Models of Meningococcal Carriage, Disease, and the Impact of Serogroup C Conjugate Vaccination
The authors of this article, published in The American Journal of Epidemiology, use data on immunization with serogroup C meningococcal conjugate vaccines in England and Wales to develop and apply a mathematical model that investigates the …
Author: Trotter CL, Gay NJ, Edmunds WJ
- Early Thimerosal Exposure and Neuropsychological Outcome at 7 and 10 Years
Investigators assessed neurological outcomes by testing more than 1,000 children aged 7 to 10 years and determined that early exposure to mercury from thimerosal-containing vaccines was not associated with deficits in neuropsychological functioning. …
Author: Thompson W, Price C, Goodson B, et al.
- Economic Evaluation of Delivering Haemophilus influenzae type b Vaccine in Routine Immunization Services in Kenya
This study, published in Bulletin of the World Health Organization, discusses the introduction of Hib vaccine in Kenya, one of the first nine countries to receive financial support from GAVI for Hib vaccine introduction. The objective of this study …
Author: Oloo Akumu A, Englisha M, Scott JAG, Griffiths UK
- Economic Evaluation of Haemophilus influenzae type b Vaccination in Indonesia: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis
This paper, published in the Journal of Public Health, evaluates the cost-effectiveness of introducing Hib vaccine in Indonesia as an addition to the country's current DTP–Hepatitis B vaccination program.
Author: Broughton E
- An Economic Evaluation of Thermostable Vaccines in Cambodia, Ghana, and Bangladesh
This article, published in Vaccine, evaluates the incremental health and programmatic cost impacts of theoretical new vaccine products as compared to the standard vaccine products in multi-dose vials in Cambodia, Ghana, and Bangladesh. The authors …
Author: Levin A, Levin C, Kristensen D, Matthias D
- Economic Impact of a Rotavirus Vaccination Program in Mexico
This article, published in the Pan American Journal of Public Health, examines a national rotavirus vaccination program in Mexico and evaluates its costs and benefits. The article concludes that the program would be highly cost-effective and …
Author: Constenla D, Velázquez FR, Rheingans RD, Antil L, Cervantes Y
- Effect of a Conjugate Pneumococcal Vaccine on the Occurrence of Respiratory Infections and Antibiotic Use in Day-Care Center Attendees
Published in the Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, this article examines whether the use of a pneumococcal conjugate vaccine could reduce the occurrence of respiratory infections and the ensuing antibiotic drug use in the day care. In this …
Author: Dagan R, Sikuler-Cohen M, Zamir O, et al.
- Effect of a Serogroup A Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine (PsA—TT) on Serogroup A Meningococcal Meningitis and Carriage in Chad: A Community Study
A serogroup A meningococcal polysaccharide—tetanus toxoid conjugate vaccine (PsA—TT, MenAfriVac) was licensed in India in 2009, and prequalified by the World Health Organization in 2010, on the basis of its safety and immunogenicity. This …
Author: Daugla DM, Gami JP, Gamougam K, et al.
- Effect of Combined Pneumococcal Conjugate and Polysaccharide Vaccination on Recurrent Otitis Media with Effusion
Published in the journal Pediatrics, this article assess the effect of combined pneumococcal conjugate and polysaccharide vaccinations on the recurrence of otitis media through a randomised, controlled trial.
Author: van Heerbeek N, Straetemans M, Wiertsema SP
- Effect of Human Rotavirus Vaccine on Severe Diarrhea in African Infants
This article, published in The New England Journal of Medicine, discusses a study on the efficacy of rotavirus vaccine in Africa. Results showed 30.2 percent efficacy against all-cause severe gastroenteritis. The study concluded that rotavirus …
Author: Madhi SA, Cunliffe NA, Steele D, et al.
- Effect of Rotavirus Vaccination on Death From Childhood Diarrhea in Mexico
This article, published in The New England Journal of Medicine, discusses a study on the effectiveness of rotavirus vaccine in Mexico. The study examined the impact of vaccination on diarrheal deaths in Mexican children between 2008 and 2009 …
Author: Richardson V, Hernandez-Pichardo J, Quintanar-Solares M, et al.
- Effect of Rotavirus Vaccine on Diarrhea Mortality in Different Socioeconomic Regions of Mexico
This article, published in Pediatrics, concludes that after the 2007 introduction of rotavirus vaccine in Mexico, marked and sustained declines in diarrhea deaths were seen among children in all regions of the country, including in the least …
Author: Gastañaduy PA, Sánchez-Uribe E, Esparza-Aguilar M, et al.
- Effect of Single Dose of SA 14-14-2 Vaccine One Year After Immunisation in Nepalese Children with Japanese Encephalitis: A Case-Control Study
Published in The Lancet, investigators conducted a case-control study and efficacy of the SA 14-14-2 JE vaccine to be 98.5 percent 12 to 15 months after vaccination. ABSTRACT ONLY. (Learn how users in developing countries can gain free access …
Author: Ohrr H, Tandan JB, Sohn YM, et al.
- Effect of Vaccines on Bacterial Meningitis Worldwide
This article, published in The Lancet, focuses on the three most common causes of acute bacterial meningitis: Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, and Neisseria meningitidis. The authors compare patterns of meningitis attributable to …
Author: McIntyre PB, O'Brien KL, Greenwood B, van de Beek D
- Effectively Introducing a New Meningococcal A Conjugate Vaccine in Africa: The Burkina Faso Experience
In 2010, Burkina Faso conducted a country-wide campaign to introduce a new Group A meningococcal conjugate vaccine, MenAfriVac™. Leading up to this effort, the following challenges were successfully managed: (1) conducting a large safety study …
Author: Djingarey MH, Barry R, Bonkoungou M, et al.