Total results with these characteristics: 191
- Kill or Cure: Pneumo: The Vaccine
This 25-minute BBC World documentary, produced by Rockhopper TV, presents the burden of pneumococcal disease and highlights what needs to be done to accelerate the introduction of lifesaving vaccines against the disease.
Author: Rockhopper TV
- The Kinetics and Phenotype of the Human B-cell Response Following Immunization with a Heptavalent Pneumococcal CRM Conjugate Vaccine
Published in the journal Immunology, this study aimed to establish the kinetics and phenotype of B-cell subpopulations responding to booster immunization with a heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (Pnc7), which is to be introduced into the …
Author: Clutterbuck EA, Salt P, Oh S, et al.
- Kinetics of the Immune Response Following Pneumococcal PD Conjugate Vaccination
Primary vaccination with pneumococcal protein D conjugate vaccine in the first year of life induced clear ELISA and OPA responses, which varied considerably for the different serotypes. Antibody levels declined following primary vaccination but were …
Author: Schuerman L, Prymula R, Chrobok V, Dieussaert I, Poolman J
- Laboratory-Based Diagnosis of Pneumococcal Pneumonia: State of the Art and Unmet Needs
This article, published in Clinical Microbiology and Infection, summarizes a meeting organized by PATH and Fondation Mérieux from October 18 to 20, 2009 in Les Pensiéres, France, during which participants evaluated current pneumococcal …
Author: Vernet G, Saha S, Satzke C, et al.
- Landscape Analysis: Trends in Vaccine Availability and Novel Vaccine Delivery Technologies: 2008–2025
This landscape analysis identifies trends in the availability of vaccines and novel vaccine delivery technologies that are and will be of relevance to low- and middle-income countries from the present through 2025.
Author: PATH, World Health Organization
- Les Vaccins Conjugués: Conjugated Vaccines
This article, published in the French journal Therapie, discusses conjugate vaccines against Haemophilus influenzae type b, Neisseria meningitidis, and Streptococcus pneumoniae, and their successes in pediatric populations. The article also …
Author: Fritzell B
- Long-Term Immunogenicity and Efficacy of a 9-valent Conjugate Pneumococcal Vaccine in Human Immuno-deficient Virus Infected and Non-infected Children in the Absence of a Booster Dose of Vaccine
The long-term immunogenicity and vaccine efficacy (VE) of a 9-valent conjugate pneumococcal vaccine was studied in HIV infected and HIV non-infected children. VE against vaccine-serotype invasive pneumococcal disease following 6.16 years of …
Author: Madhi S
- Making New Vaccines Affordable: A Comparison of Financing Processes Used to Develop and Deploy New Meningococcal and Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines
Two innovative mechanisms have been used to accelerate the development of low-price supply lines for conjugate vaccines. The Meningitis Vaccine Project is a so-called push mechanism that facilitated technology transfer to an Indian company to …
Author: Hargreaves JR, Greenwood B, Clift C, et al.
- Maternal Immunisation in Developing Countries
This article, published in Vaccine, discusses the benefits and challenges of implementing maternal immunization as a method of preventing infections in the developing world. Specifically, the article discusses the high incidence of pneumococcal …
Author: Greenwood B
- Measuring Impact of Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae type b Conjugate Vaccination
This manual describes approaches to measuring pneumococcal and Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine impact on disease incidence and provides a framework for determining the best methodology in a specific country setting. It details a …
Author: World Health Organization
- Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccines
This article, published in Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, reviews the conjugate meningococcal vaccines currently available and under development and their potential for disease prevention. The article also includes a discussion of the successful …
Author: Zimmer SM, Stephens DS
- Merck Manual: Pneumococcal Infections
Merck’s website offers information about pneumococcal pneumonia.
- Molecular Typing of the Pneumococcus and its Application in Epidemiology in Sub-Saharan Africa
This article, published in Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, discusses molecular typing of the pneumococcus and what is known about epidemiology of the organism in sub-Saharan Africa based on the various typing methods.
Author: Donkor ES
- Monitoring and Surveillance
This web page provides information about work being done to improve immunization monitoring and surveillance data in order to provide decision-makers with critical information both before vaccine introduction, as related to the existing disease …
Author: World Health Organization
- More About Pneumococcus
This web page on the Vaccine Resource Library provides a link to PATH's work on pneumococcus, as well as general information about the disease and the current vaccine landscape.
- Multinational Study of Pneumococcal Serotypes Causing Acute Otitis Media in Children
This study analyzed nine existing datasets comprising pneumococcal isolates from middle ear fluid samples collected from 1994 through 2000 from 3,232 children with AOM from Finland, France, Greece, Israel, several East European countries, the …
Author: Hausdorff WP, Yothers G, Dagan R, et al.
- Nasopharyngeal Microbial Interactions in the Era of Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccination
This article, published in Vaccine, reviews data on co-colonization of pathogens in the nasopharynx, focusing on Streptococcus pneumoniae and the impact of pneumococcal vaccination. The authors conclude that pneumococcal vaccination has not had a …
Author: Dunne EM, Smith-Vaughan HC, Robins-Browne RM, Mulholland EK, Satzke C
- National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD)
The mission of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD) is the prevention of disease, disability, and death through immunization and by control of respiratory and related diseases. This web page contains additional …
Author: US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- New Conjugate Vaccines for the Prevention of Pneumococcal Disease in Developing Countries
This article, which appeared in Drugs of Today, provides an overview of currently available pneumococcal conjugate vaccines (PCVs) and outlines several new approaches in the pipeline for PCVs designed to meet needs in the developing world. ABSTRACT …
Author: Ginsburg AS, Alderson MR
- Optimising the Use of Conjugate Vaccines to Prevent Disease Caused by Haemophilus influenzae type b, Neisseria meningitidis, and Streptococcus pneumoniae
This article, published in Vaccine, reviews the state of the current evidence on conjugate vaccines and identifies important areas for further study, in order to inform the debate regarding the best use of these vaccines, which not only prevent …
Author: Trotter CL, McVernon J, Ramsay ME, et al.
- Options for Inactivation, Adjuvant, and Route of Topical Administration of a Killed, Unencapsulated Pneumococcal Whole-Cell Vaccine
This article, published in Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, describes research conducted at Children’s Hospital Boston which showed that killing cells of a noncapsulated strain of Streptococcus pneumoniae with chloroform, tricholorethylene, or …
Author: Lu Y-J, Yadav P, Clements JD, et al.
- Outcome of Meningitis Caused by Streptococcus Pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae type b in Children in the Gambia
Published in the journal Tropical Medicine and International Health, the purpose of this study was to assess the importance of disabilities following pneumococcal and Hib meningitis in The Gambia. 257 children aged 0-12 years hospitalized between …
Author: Goetghebuer T, et al.
- PATH Pneumococcal Vaccine Project
This paper, published in Pediatric Health, provides an overview of the efforts that PATH is undertaking to advance the development of new vaccines against Streptococcus pneumoniae that can be low-cost and accessible for the …
Author: Alderson MA, Maisonneuve J, Newhouse LC, Boslego JW
- Pathogenesis, Treatment, and Prevention of Pneumococcal Pneumonia
This article, published in The Lancet, summarizes the past ten years of research on pneumococcal pneumonia. The article includes a review of the epidemiology, genetics, and immunology of the disease, as well as approaches to clinical diagnosis, …
Author: van der Poll T, Opal SM
- Pediatric Bacterial Meningitis Surveillance--African Region, 2002 to 2008
This article, published in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, analyzes data for 2002 to 2008 from the Pediatric Bacterial Meningitis (PBM) Surveillance Network, which collects information on laboratory-confirmed bacterial meningitis cases among …
Author: US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention