Topic: Disease burden and surveillance
Total results with these characteristics: 259
- Effect of a Serogroup A Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine (PsA—TT) on Serogroup A Meningococcal Meningitis and Carriage in Chad: A Community Study
A serogroup A meningococcal polysaccharide—tetanus toxoid conjugate vaccine (PsA—TT, MenAfriVac) was licensed in India in 2009, and prequalified by the World Health Organization in 2010, on the basis of its safety and immunogenicity. This …
Author: Daugla DM, Gami JP, Gamougam K, et al.
- Effect of Rotavirus Vaccination on Death From Childhood Diarrhea in Mexico
This article, published in The New England Journal of Medicine, discusses a study on the effectiveness of rotavirus vaccine in Mexico. The study examined the impact of vaccination on diarrheal deaths in Mexican children between 2008 and 2009 …
Author: Richardson V, Hernandez-Pichardo J, Quintanar-Solares M, et al.
- Effect of Rotavirus Vaccine on Diarrhea Mortality in Different Socioeconomic Regions of Mexico
This article, published in Pediatrics, concludes that after the 2007 introduction of rotavirus vaccine in Mexico, marked and sustained declines in diarrhea deaths were seen among children in all regions of the country, including in the least …
Author: Gastañaduy PA, Sánchez-Uribe E, Esparza-Aguilar M, et al.
- Effect of Vaccines on Bacterial Meningitis Worldwide
This article, published in The Lancet, focuses on the three most common causes of acute bacterial meningitis: Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, and Neisseria meningitidis. The authors compare patterns of meningitis attributable to …
Author: McIntyre PB, O'Brien KL, Greenwood B, van de Beek D
- Elimination of Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) Disease From The Gambia After the Introduction of Routine Immunisation With a Hib Conjugate Vaccine: A Prospective Study
Routine immunization of infants in The Gambia with a Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) polysaccharide-tetanus toxoid conjugate vaccine began in May 1997. This article, published in The Lancet, reports on a study that investigated the effectiveness …
Author: Adegbola RA, Secka O, Lahai G, et al.
- Emergence of a Novel Swine-Origin Influenza A (H1N1) Virus in Humans
This article, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, describes the findings of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Novel Swine-Origin Influenza A(H1N1) Virus Investigation Team from their assessment of the …
Author: Novel Swine-Origin Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Investigation Team
- Emergence of G12 Rotavirus Strains in Delhi, India, in 2000 to 2007
In this article, published in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology, researchers identified a broad diversity of rotavirus strains among children in India, including several unusual strains and two novel strains. The study highlights the great …
Author: Sharma S, Ray P, Gentsch JR, Glass RI, Kalra V, Bhan MK
- Emergence of Serogroup X Meningococcal Disease in Africa: Need for a Vaccine
This article, published in Vaccine, describes how and why serogroup X meningococcal disease has emerged in Africa in recent years. It asserts that while no licensed vaccine is available against serogroup X meningococci, following the introduction of …
Author: Xie O, Pollard AJ, Mueller JE, Norheim G
- Enteric Infections, Diarrhea, and Their Impact on Function and Development
Enteric infections, with or without overt diarrhea, have profound effects on intestinal absorption, nutrition, and childhood development as well as on global mortality. Oral rehydration therapy has reduced the number of deaths from dehydration …
Author: Petri Jr. WA, Miller M, Binder HJ, et al.
- Epidemic Meningitis Due to Group A Neisseria Meningitidis in the African Meningitis Belt: A Persistent Problem With an Imminent Solution
This article, published in the journal Vaccine, emphasizes Group A Neisseria meningitidis as a health problem in Africa and disccuses the potential for a proactive control strategy for epidemic meningitis with the use of …
Author: LaForce FM, Ravenscroft N, Djingarey M, et al
- Epidemiology, Aetiology and Management of Childhood Acute Community-Acquired Pneumonia in Developing Countries--A Review
This article, published in the African Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, provides an overview of the causes of clinical pneumonia in developing countries, available vaccines for fighting pneumonia, and efforts underway and planned to expand …
Author: Falade AG, Ayede AI
- Epidemiology and Burden of Disease from Japanese Encephalitis in Cambodia: Results From Two Years of Sentinel Surveillance
This article, published in Tropical Medicine & International Health, describes the results of two years of surveillance for Japanese encephalitis (JE) disease in Cambodian children aged 15 years and under at six sentinel …
Author: Touch S, Hills S, Sokhal B, et al.
- Epidemiology of Bacterial Meningitis in Niamey, Niger, 1981-96
This study, published in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, used retrospective surveillance to identify cases of laboratory-diagnosed bacterial meningitis in Niamey, Niger, from 1981 to 1996. The study analyzed the cases …
Author: Campagne G, Schuchat A, Djibo S, et al.
- The Epidemiology of Human Rotavirus Associated with Diarrhoea in Kenyan Children: A Review
This review of 30 years worth of published data provided insight into the burden of disease and the emergence of new genotypes in Kenya, indicating a need for continued surveillance. ABSTRACT ONLY. (Learn how users in developing countries can …
Author: Kiulia NM, Kamenwa R, Irimu G, et al.
- Epidemiology of Japanese encephalitis in Context With Indian Scenario
This article provides a historical overview of Japanese encephalitis (JE) in India since the first detection of JE virus activity in 1952 until the 2006 introduction of JE vaccine in high-risk states and expansion of vaccination efforts in …
Author: Dhillon GP, Raina VK
- Epidemiology of Meningococcal Disease in Latin America: Current Situation and Opportunities for Prevention
This article, published in Neurological Research, discusses the changes in the epidemiology of meningococcal disease in Latin America and comments on the development and potential impact of new vaccines for the prevention of the disease. The authors …
Author: Sáfadi MA, Cintra OA
- Estimated Global Mortality Associated With the First 12 Months of 2009 Pandemic Influenza A H1N1 Virus Circulation: A Modelling Study
This article, published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases, estimates the global mortality associated with the first 12 months of the 2009 influenza A/H1N1 virus pandemic. Results of the analysis estimate that respiratory and cardiovascular …
Author: Dawood FS, Iuliano AD, Reed C, et al.
- Estimated Hib and Pneumococcal Deaths for Children Under 5 Years of Age, 2008
This web page provides an estimate of child mortality due to Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) and pneumococcal infections in 2008. It also contains a link to a chart of death rates due to these infections, broken down by region and HIV status.
Author: World Health Organization
- Estimating Age-Specific Cumulative Incidence for the 2009 Influenza Pandemic: A Meta-analysis of A(H1N1)pdm09 Serological Studies From 19 Countries
This article, published in Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses, details the results of a meta-analysis conducted to provide insights into the global impact of the 2009 influenza A(H1N1) pandemic. The study estimates overall and age-specific …
Author: Van Kerkhove MD, Hirve S, Koukounari A, Mounts AW
- Estimating Child Mortality Due to Diarrhea in Developing Countries: A Meta-analysis Review
Published in The Bulletin of the World Health Organization, this study provides estimates of diarrhea mortality at country, regional, and global levels and discusses interventions to reduce childhood mortality caused by diarrheal disease.
Author: Boschi-Pinto C, Velebit L, Shibuya K
- Estimating the Burden of Pneumococcal Pneumonia Among Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Diagnostic Techniques
This article, published in PLOS One, summarizes a study to develop a conceptual and quantitative strategy for estimating the non-bacteremic disease burden among adults with community-acquired pneumonia. The authors conclude that the adult burden of …
Author: Said MA, Johnson HL, Nonyane BAS, Deloria-Knoll M, O′Brien KL
Similar to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, these archives contain euro-specific disease surveillance information.
Author: European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control
- Evaluation of Meningitis Surveillance Before Introduction of Serogroup A Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine—Burkina Faso and Mali
Before the 2010 to 2011 introduction of the first serogroup A meningococcal conjugate vaccine developed solely for Africa (MenAfriVac), evaluations of the existing meningitis surveillance in Burkina Faso and Mali were conducted to assess the …
Author: US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Evaluation of the Meningitis Epidemics Risk Model in Africa
This study, published in Epidemiology and Infection, evaluated an ecological model based on absolute humidity and land cover type to predict the location of meningitis epidemics in the Sahelian region known as the African Meningitis Belt. The …
Author: Savory EC, Cuevas LE, Yassin MA, et al.
- Evaluation of Three Immunoglobulin M Antibody Capture Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assays for Diagnosis of Japanese Encephalitis
From the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, this study evaluates the sensitivity, specificity, and usability of three commercially-available kits for Japanese encephalitis laboratory diagnostics.
Author: Jacobson J, Hills S, Winkler J, et al.