Total results with these characteristics: 159
- Effect of Combined Pneumococcal Conjugate and Polysaccharide Vaccination on Recurrent Otitis Media with Effusion
Published in the journal Pediatrics, this article assess the effect of combined pneumococcal conjugate and polysaccharide vaccinations on the recurrence of otitis media through a randomised, controlled trial.
Author: van Heerbeek N, Straetemans M, Wiertsema SP
- Effect of Vaccines on Bacterial Meningitis Worldwide
This article, published in The Lancet, focuses on the three most common causes of acute bacterial meningitis: Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, and Neisseria meningitidis. The authors compare patterns of meningitis attributable to …
Author: McIntyre PB, O'Brien KL, Greenwood B, van de Beek D
- Efficacy of a Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine Against Acute Otitis Media
This study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, enrolled 1662 infants in a randomized, double-blind efficacy trial of a heptavalent pneumococcal polysaccharide conjugate vaccine in which the carrier protein is the nontoxic …
Author: Eskola J, Kilpi T, Palmu A, et al.
- Efficacy of Nine-valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine Against Pneumonia and Invasive Pneumococcal Disease in The Gambia: Randomized Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial
Published in The Lancet, this study aims to assess the efficacy of a nine-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children through a randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial in eastern Gambia. Children age 6–51 weeks were randomly …
Author: Cutts U, Zaman SMA, Enwere G, et al.
- Efficacy of Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines and Their Effort on Carriage and Antimicrobial Resistance
Pneumococcal conjugate vaccines have shown a high degree of success in preventing pneumococcal bacteraemia in children. They also reduce the acquisition of carriage of vaccine serotypes in the nasopharynx, and reduce otitis media caused by those …
Author: Klugman K
- Epidemiology of Bacterial Meningitis in Niamey, Niger, 1981-96
This study, published in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, used retrospective surveillance to identify cases of laboratory-diagnosed bacterial meningitis in Niamey, Niger, from 1981 to 1996. The study analyzed the cases …
Author: Campagne G, Schuchat A, Djibo S, et al.
- Establishment of a New Human Pneumococcal Standard Reference Serum 007sp
This article, published in Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, reports on a study that resulted in the development of a new pneumococcal reference serum to replace the dwindling stocks of Lot 89SF, the reference standard serum pool used since 1990. The …
Author: Goldblatt D, Plikaytis BD, Akkoyunlu M, et al.
- Estimated Hib and Pneumococcal Deaths for Children Under 5 Years of Age, 2008
This web page provides an estimate of child mortality due to Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) and pneumococcal infections in 2008. It also contains a link to a chart of death rates due to these infections, broken down by region and HIV status.
Author: World Health Organization
- Estimates of World-Wide Distribution of Child Deaths From Acute Respiratory Infections
To establish a relation between deaths due to acute respiratory infections (ARI) and all-cause deaths in children under 5 years we show that the proportion of deaths directly attributable to ARI declines from 23% to 18% and then 15% (95% confidence …
Author: Williams B, Gouws E, Boschi-Pinto C, Bryce J, Dye C
- Estimating the Protective Concentration of Anti-pneumococcal Capsular Polysaccharide Antibodies
Published in the journal Vaccine, this article describes a method for correlating pneumococcal anticapsular antibody responses of infants immunized with pneumococcal conjugate (PnC) vaccine (Prevenar) with clinical protection from invasive …
Author: Siber G, Chang I, Baker S, et al.
- The Evidence for Using Conjugate Vaccines to Protect HIV-Infected Children Against Pneumococcal Disease
Published in The Lancet, this review summarises available data on the burden of pneumococcal disease and the safety and efficacy of PCVs in HIV-infected children. ABSTRACT ONLY. (Learn how users in developing countries can gain free access to …
Author: Bliss SJ, O'Brien KL, Janoff EN, et al.
- Evolution of Streptococcus Pneumoniae Serotypes and Penicillin Susceptibility in Latin America, Sireva-Vigia Group, 1993-1999
Since 1993 the Pan American Health Organization has coordinated a surveillance network with the National Reference Laboratories of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Uruguay aimed at monitoring capsular types and antimicrobial …
Author: Di Fabio JL, Castañeda E, Agudelo CI, et al.
- Formulation of a Killed Whole Cell Pneumococcus Vaccine—Effect of Aluminum Adjuvants on the Antibody and IL-17 Response
This article, published in the Journal of Immune Based Therapies and Vaccines, describes preclinical research which demonstrates that a vaccine composed of killed whole cell, nonencapsulated pneumococci and formulated with aluminum hydroxide induces …
Author: HogenEsch H, Dunham A, Hansen B, Anderson K, Maisonneuve JF, Hem SL
- The Future of Pneumococcal Disease Prevention
This article, published in Vaccine, reviews the most recently developed pneumococcal conjugate vaccines (PCVs) that are now approved for use in children, a 10-valent vaccine and a 13-valent vaccine, as well as other new PCVs in development. In view …
Author: Rodgers GL, Klugman KP
- Gambia Pneumococcal Vaccine Trial
This web page offers details of an important vaccine field efficacy study in Africa.
Author: US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
- GAVI's Advance Market Commitment
This article, published in The Lancet, details how the GAVI Alliance's pilot Advance Market Commitment financing mechanism works to stimulate the manufacture of affordable pneumococcal vaccines for developing countries. ABSTRACT ONLY. (Learn how …
Author: Schwalbe N, El-Ziq I
- Global Action Plan for Prevention and Control of Pneumonia
This document outlines a global action plan to support countries in controlling pneumonia, providing a framework for action around which partners can coordinate their efforts. The document summarizes the global situation with respect to pneumonia, …
Author: World Health Organization, United Nations Children's Fund
- GMP-Grade Pneumococcal Whole-Cell Vaccine Injected Subcutaneously Protects Mice From Nasopharyngeal Colonization and Fatal Aspiration-Sepsis
This article, which appeared in Vaccine, details research conducted at Children’s Hospital Boston to determine the performance of subcutaneous injection of pneumococcal whole-cell vaccine in preclinical studies. ABSTRACT ONLY. (Learn how users …
Author: Lu YJ, Leite L, Gonçalves VM, et al.
- Herd Immunity and Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine: A Quantitative Model
An empirical quantitative model was developed to estimate the herd (indirect) effects on the incidence of invasive disease among persons ≥5 years of age induced by vaccination of young children with 1, 2, or ≥3 doses of the …
Author: Haber M, Barskey A, Baughman W, et al.
This site offers information on vaccine and immunization programs at the American Academy of Pediatrics and includes video and text resources for parents. Resources include frequently asked questions for families, immunization information for …
Author: American Academy of Pediatrics
- Immunization of Aged Mice with a Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine Combined with an Unmethylated CpG-Containing Oligodeoxynucleotide Restores Defective Immunoglobulin G Antipolysaccharide Responses and Specific CD4+-T-cell Priming to Young Adult Levels
Polysaccharide (PS)-protein conjugate vaccines, in contrast to purified PS vaccines, recruit CD4+-T-cell help and restore defective PS-specific humoral immunity in the immature host. Surprisingly, in the immunocompromised, aged host, anti-PS …
Author: Sen G, Chen Q, Snapper C
- Immunization with the Heptavalent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine in Bangladeshi Infants and Effects of Zinc Supplementation
Published in the journal Vaccine, this article aimed to determine the immunogenicity of the heptavalent pneumococcal protein conjugate (PNC) vaccine in poor Bangladeshi infants and to assess the effect of zinc supplementation on immune response to …
Author: Osendarp SJM, Prabhakar H, Fuchs GJ, et al.
- Immunize Canada
This partnership of nongovernmental, professional, health, consumer, government, and private-sector organizations aims to promote the understanding and use of vaccines recommended by Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization. Its goal is …
Author: Immunize Canada
- The Immunological Basis for Immunization Series
This web page provides links to individual disease/vaccine-specific modules that are intended to give immunization managers and vaccination professionals a brief and easy-to-understand overview of the scientific basis of vaccination, as well as the …
Author: World Health Organization
- Impact of the Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine on Otitis Media
Published in the Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, this study examines the impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on the incidence of otitis media, frequent otitis media, and tympanostomy tube procedures and to assesses whether the …
Author: Fireman B, Black SB, Shinefield HR, et al.