Total results with these characteristics: 195
- Development of Lactococcal GEM-Based Pneumococcal Vaccines
Published in the journal Vaccine, this article reports on the development of a novel protein-based nasal vaccine against Streptococcus pneumoniae, in which three pneumococcal proteins were displayed on the surface of a non-recombinant, killed …
Author: Audouy S, van Selm S, van Roosmalen M, et al.
- Diseases and the Vaccines That Prevent Them
This series of fact sheets describes symptoms of infection as well as the benefits and risk of vaccination for 14 diseases, including hepatitis B, Haemophilus influenzae type b, influenza, pneumococcal disease, polio, and rotavirus. There …
Author: US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- DNA Vaccines Expressing Pneumococcal Surface Protein A (PspA) Elicit Protection Levels Comparable to Recombinant Protein
This article, published in the Journal of Medical Microbiology, provide results that show that DNA vaccines expressing PspA are able to elicit protection levels comparable to recombinant protein, even though total anti-PspA IgG response is …
Author: Ferreira DM, Miyaji EN, Oliveira MLS, et al.
- Effect of a Conjugate Pneumococcal Vaccine on the Occurrence of Respiratory Infections and Antibiotic Use in Day-Care Center Attendees
Published in the Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, this article examines whether the use of a pneumococcal conjugate vaccine could reduce the occurrence of respiratory infections and the ensuing antibiotic drug use in the day care. In this …
Author: Dagan R, Sikuler-Cohen M, Zamir O, et al.
- Effect of Combined Pneumococcal Conjugate and Polysaccharide Vaccination on Recurrent Otitis Media with Effusion
Published in the journal Pediatrics, this article assess the effect of combined pneumococcal conjugate and polysaccharide vaccinations on the recurrence of otitis media through a randomised, controlled trial.
Author: van Heerbeek N, Straetemans M, Wiertsema SP
- Effect of Vaccines on Bacterial Meningitis Worldwide
This article, published in The Lancet, focuses on the three most common causes of acute bacterial meningitis: Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, and Neisseria meningitidis. The authors compare patterns of meningitis attributable to …
Author: McIntyre PB, O'Brien KL, Greenwood B, van de Beek D
- Efficacy of a Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine Against Acute Otitis Media
This study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, enrolled 1662 infants in a randomized, double-blind efficacy trial of a heptavalent pneumococcal polysaccharide conjugate vaccine in which the carrier protein is the nontoxic …
Author: Eskola J, Kilpi T, Palmu A, et al.
- Efficacy of Nine-valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine Against Pneumonia and Invasive Pneumococcal Disease in The Gambia: Randomized Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial
Published in The Lancet, this study aims to assess the efficacy of a nine-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children through a randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial in eastern Gambia. Children age 6–51 weeks were randomly …
Author: Cutts U, Zaman SMA, Enwere G, et al.
- Efficacy of Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccines and Their Effort on Carriage and Antimicrobial Resistance
Pneumococcal conjugate vaccines have shown a high degree of success in preventing pneumococcal bacteraemia in children. They also reduce the acquisition of carriage of vaccine serotypes in the nasopharynx, and reduce otitis media caused by those …
Author: Klugman K
- Epidemiology, Aetiology and Management of Childhood Acute Community-Acquired Pneumonia in Developing Countries--A Review
This article, published in the African Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, provides an overview of the causes of clinical pneumonia in developing countries, available vaccines for fighting pneumonia, and efforts underway and planned to expand …
Author: Falade AG, Ayede AI
- Epidemiology of Bacterial Meningitis in Niamey, Niger, 1981-96
This study, published in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, used retrospective surveillance to identify cases of laboratory-diagnosed bacterial meningitis in Niamey, Niger, from 1981 to 1996. The study analyzed the cases …
Author: Campagne G, Schuchat A, Djibo S, et al.
- Establishment of a New Human Pneumococcal Standard Reference Serum 007sp
This article, published in Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, reports on a study that resulted in the development of a new pneumococcal reference serum to replace the dwindling stocks of Lot 89SF, the reference standard serum pool used since 1990. The …
Author: Goldblatt D, Plikaytis BD, Akkoyunlu M, et al.
- Estimated Hib and Pneumococcal Deaths for Children Under 5 Years of Age, 2008
This web page provides an estimate of child mortality due to Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) and pneumococcal infections in 2008. It also contains a link to a chart of death rates due to these infections, broken down by region and HIV status.
Author: World Health Organization
- Estimates of World-Wide Distribution of Child Deaths From Acute Respiratory Infections
To establish a relation between deaths due to acute respiratory infections (ARI) and all-cause deaths in children under 5 years we show that the proportion of deaths directly attributable to ARI declines from 23% to 18% and then 15% (95% confidence …
Author: Williams B, Gouws E, Boschi-Pinto C, Bryce J, Dye C
- Estimating the Burden of Pneumococcal Pneumonia Among Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Diagnostic Techniques
This article, published in PLOS One, summarizes a study to develop a conceptual and quantitative strategy for estimating the non-bacteremic disease burden among adults with community-acquired pneumonia. The authors conclude that the adult burden of …
Author: Said MA, Johnson HL, Nonyane BAS, Deloria-Knoll M, O′Brien KL
- Estimating the Protective Concentration of Anti-pneumococcal Capsular Polysaccharide Antibodies
Published in the journal Vaccine, this article describes a method for correlating pneumococcal anticapsular antibody responses of infants immunized with pneumococcal conjugate (PnC) vaccine (Prevenar) with clinical protection from invasive …
Author: Siber G, Chang I, Baker S, et al.
- The Evidence for Using Conjugate Vaccines to Protect HIV-Infected Children Against Pneumococcal Disease
Published in The Lancet, this review summarises available data on the burden of pneumococcal disease and the safety and efficacy of PCVs in HIV-infected children. ABSTRACT ONLY. (Learn how users in developing countries can gain free access to …
Author: Bliss SJ, O'Brien KL, Janoff EN, et al.
- Evolution of Streptococcus Pneumoniae Serotypes and Penicillin Susceptibility in Latin America, Sireva-Vigia Group, 1993-1999
Since 1993 the Pan American Health Organization has coordinated a surveillance network with the National Reference Laboratories of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Uruguay aimed at monitoring capsular types and antimicrobial …
Author: Di Fabio JL, Castañeda E, Agudelo CI, et al.
- Exploitation of Physiology and Metabolomics to Identify Pneumococcal Vaccine Candidates
This article, published in Expert Review of Vaccines, summarizes ways in which genome-wide techniques can help decipher factors associated with the fitness, metabolism, and virulence of Streptococcus pneumoniae that could help lead to the …
Author: Schulz C, Hammerschmidt S
- Formulation of a Killed Whole Cell Pneumococcus Vaccine—Effect of Aluminum Adjuvants on the Antibody and IL-17 Response
This article, published in the Journal of Immune Based Therapies and Vaccines, describes preclinical research which demonstrates that a vaccine composed of killed whole cell, nonencapsulated pneumococci and formulated with aluminum hydroxide induces …
Author: HogenEsch H, Dunham A, Hansen B, Anderson K, Maisonneuve JF, Hem SL
- The Fundamental Link Between Pneumococcal Carriage and Disease
This article, published Expert Review of Vaccines, reviews the evidence supporting pneumococcal carriage as an immediate and necessary precursor to pneumococcal disease. The authors emphasize the role of information on pneumococcal carriage in …
Author: Simell B, Auranen K, Käyhty H, et al.
- The Future of Pneumococcal Disease Prevention
This article, published in Vaccine, reviews the most recently developed pneumococcal conjugate vaccines (PCVs) that are now approved for use in children, a 10-valent vaccine and a 13-valent vaccine, as well as other new PCVs in development. In view …
Author: Rodgers GL, Klugman KP
- Gambia Pneumococcal Vaccine Trial
This web page offers details of an important vaccine field efficacy study in Africa.
Author: US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
- GAVI's Advance Market Commitment
This article, published in The Lancet, details how the GAVI Alliance's pilot Advance Market Commitment financing mechanism works to stimulate the manufacture of affordable pneumococcal vaccines for developing countries. ABSTRACT ONLY. (Learn how …
Author: Schwalbe N, El-Ziq I
- Global Action Plan for Prevention and Control of Pneumonia
This document outlines a global action plan to support countries in controlling pneumonia, providing a framework for action around which partners can coordinate their efforts. The document summarizes the global situation with respect to pneumonia, …
Author: World Health Organization, United Nations Children's Fund