Resource type: Peer-reviewed journal
Total results with these characteristics: 633
- Exposure to Heat and Freezing in the Vaccine Cold Chain in Thailand
Good cold chain practice is essential to maintain full immunogenicity of vaccines. This article, published in Vaccine, reports on a study that aimed to identify the likelihood and extent of exposure to inappropriate temperatures in the vaccine cold …
Author: Techathawat S, Varinsathien P, Rasdjarmrearnsook A, Tharmaphornpilas P
- Field Evaluation of a Respiratory Syncytial Virus Vaccine and a Trivalent Parainfluenza Virus Vaccine in a Pediatric Population
This article, published the American Journal of Epidemiology, describes a field study conducted in California, United States, that evaluated two formalin inactivated respiratory virus vaccines, a respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) vaccine and a …
Author: Chin J, Magoffin RL, Shearer LA, Schieble JH, Lennette EH
- First Results of Phase 3 Trial of RTS,S/AS01 Malaria Vaccine in African Children
A malaria vaccine, deployed in combination with current malaria-control tools, could play an important role in future control and eventual elimination of malaria in Africa. This article, published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), …
Author: The RTS,S Clinical Trials Partnership
- Formulation of a Killed Whole Cell Pneumococcus Vaccine—Effect of Aluminum Adjuvants on the Antibody and IL-17 Response
This article, published in the Journal of Immune Based Therapies and Vaccines, describes preclinical research which demonstrates that a vaccine composed of killed whole cell, nonencapsulated pneumococci and formulated with aluminum hydroxide induces …
Author: HogenEsch H, Dunham A, Hansen B, Anderson K, Maisonneuve JF, Hem SL
- Fractional Doses of Inactivated Poliovirus Vaccine in Oman
This article, published in The New England Journal of Medicine, reports on a clinical trial comparing fractional doses of inactivated poliovirus vaccine administered intradermally with full doses of vaccine given intramuscularly, with respect …
Author: Mohammed AJ, AlAwaidy S, Bawikar S, et al.
- Freezing Temperatures in the Vaccine Cold Chain: A Systematic Literature Review
This analysis, published in the journal Vaccine, highlights the pervasiveness of accidental freezing across the cold chain and makes recommendations for addressing the problem. ABSTRACT ONLY. (Learn how users in developing countries can gain free …
Author: Matthias DM, Robertson J, Garrison MM, Newland S, Nelson C
- From Genomics to Surveillance, Prevention and Control: New Challenges for the African Meningitis Belt
This article, published in the Bulletin de la Société de Pathologie Exotique, summarizes an international conference held in Niamey, Niger, that brought together more than 100 delegates to assess the current meningitis situation in Africa, …
Author: Alonso JM, Bertherat E, Perea W, et al.
- Fulfilling the Promise of Rotavirus Vaccines: How Far Have We Come Since Licensure?
This review, published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases, summarizes the role of rotavirus vaccination in reducing childhood hospitalizations and deaths due to severe diarrhea. The authors also highlight insights revealed through routine …
Author: Patel MM, Glass R, Desai R, Tate JE, Parashar UD
- The Fundamental Link Between Pneumococcal Carriage and Disease
This article, published Expert Review of Vaccines, reviews the evidence supporting pneumococcal carriage as an immediate and necessary precursor to pneumococcal disease. The authors emphasize the role of information on pneumococcal carriage in …
Author: Simell B, Auranen K, Käyhty H, et al.
- The Future of Immunisation Policy, Implementation, and Financing
The authors of this article, published in The Lancet, discuss the challenges and possibilities of further expanding coverage of existing vaccines while widely implementing new vaccines, with respect to low-income and middle-income countries. They …
Author: Levine OS, Bloom DE, Cherian T, et al.
- The Future of Pneumococcal Disease Prevention
This article, published in Vaccine, reviews the most recently developed pneumococcal conjugate vaccines (PCVs) that are now approved for use in children, a 10-valent vaccine and a 13-valent vaccine, as well as other new PCVs in development. In view …
Author: Rodgers GL, Klugman KP
- Gastroenteritis Hospitalizations in Older Children and Adults in the United States Before and After Implementation of Infant Rotavirus Vaccination
This article, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, reports on a study that explored the indirect impact of rotavirus vaccines on older age groups. The authors assessed patterns of gastroenteritis hospitalizations among …
Author: Gastañaduy PA, Curns AT, Parashar UD, Lopman BA
- GAVI's Advance Market Commitment
This article, published in The Lancet, details how the GAVI Alliance's pilot Advance Market Commitment financing mechanism works to stimulate the manufacture of affordable pneumococcal vaccines for developing countries. ABSTRACT ONLY. (Learn how …
Author: Schwalbe N, El-Ziq I
- Global and Regional Burden of Disease and Risk Factors, 2001: Systematic Analysis of Population Health Data
Published in The Lancet, the study aim was to calculate the global burden of disease and risk factors for 2001, to examine regional trends from 1990 to 2001, and to provide a starting point for the analysis of the Disease Control Priorities Project. …
Author: Lopez AD, Mathers CD, Ezzati M, Jamison DT, Murray CJ
- Global and Regional Risk of Disabling Sequelae From Bacterial Meningitis: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
This article, published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases, provides an overview of a systematic review and meta-analysis of published papers from 1998 to 2008 to estimate the risks of major and minor sequelae caused by bacterial meningitis, …
Author: Edmond K, Clark A, Korczak VS, et al.
- Global Burden of Acute Lower Respiratory Infections Due to Respiratory Syncytial Virus in Young Children: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
This article, published in The Lancet, describes research to estimate the global incidence of and mortality from episodes of acute lower respiratory infection (ALRI) due to respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) in children younger than five years …
Author: Nair H, Nokes DJ, Gessner BD, et al.
- Global Burden of Childhood Pneumonia and Diarrhoea
This article, published in The Lancet, reviews the epidemiology of childhood diarrhea and pneumonia in 2010 to 2011 to inform the planning of integrated control programmes for both illnesses. The estimates show 1.731 billion episodes of diarrhea and …
Author: Walker CL, Rudan I, Liu L, et al.
- Global Burden of Respiratory Infections Due to Seasonal Influenza in Young Children: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
This article, published in The Lancet, details a systematic review and meta-analysis to estimate the global incidence of and mortality from lower respiratory infections associated with influenza in children younger than five years of age. Based on …
Author: Nair H, Brooks WA, Katz M, et al.
- Global Epidemiology of Invasive Meningococcal Disease
Neisseria meningitidis is one of the leading causes of bacterial meningitis globally and can also cause sepsis, pneumonia, and other manifestations. The worldwide epidemiology of invasive meningococcal disease (IMD) varies markedly by region and …
Author: Jafri RZ, Ali A, Messonnier NE, et al.
- Global Epidemiology of Meningococcal Disease
This article, published in the journal Vaccine, reviews meningococcal disease epidemiology and its variability across geographic area and time. The review summarizes the current status of meningococcal disease epidemiology by region, but notes that …
Author: Harrison LH, Trotter CL, Ramsay ME
- Global Epidemiology of Meningococcal Disease and Vaccine Efficacy
This article, published in the Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, reviews outbreaks of meningococcal disease across the globe and the serotypes associated with these outbreaks. The author also discusses the different vaccines …
Author: Pollard AJ
- Global Immunization Vision and Strategy (GIVS): A Mid-term Analysis of Progress in 50 Countries
Over 70 countries developed comprehensive Multi-Year Plans (cMYPs) for implementing the Global Immunization Vision and Strategy (GIVS) for the period 2006 to 2015. This paper, published in Health Policy and Planning, describes the outcomes of a …
Author: Kamara L, Lydon P, Bilous J, et al.
- Global Impact of Diarrheal Diseases That Are Sampled by Travelers: The Rest of the Hippopotamus
Travelers who experience diarrhea are exposed to the same pathogens and illnesses that pose some of the greatest threats to life and development among malnourished children in developing areas around the world, where inadequate water and poor …
Author: Guerrant RL, Oria R, Bushen OY, et al.
- The Global Meningococcal Initiative: Recommendations for Reducing the Global Burden of Meningococcal Disease
The Global Meningococcal Initiative (GMI) is composed of an international group of scientists, clinicians, and public health officials that aim to promote the global prevention of invasive meningococcal disease through education and research. In …
Author: Harrison LH, Pelton SI, Wilder-Smith A, et al.
- Global Production of Seasonal and Pandemic (H1N1) Influenza Vaccines in 2009-2010 and Comparison with Previous Estimates and Global Action Plan Targets
This article, published in Vaccine, summarizes results from a World Health Organization (WHO) survey assessing global influenza vaccine production in the context of the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) pandemic. The authors compare results …
Author: Partridge J, Kieny MP, World Health Organization H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Task Force