Topic: Disease burden and surveillance
Total results with these characteristics: 259
- 2008 Estimate of Worldwide Rotavirus-Associated Mortality in Children Younger than 5 Years Before the Introduction of Universal Rotavirus Vaccination Programmes: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
This analysis, published in the The Lancet Infectious Diseases, applied data collected through the World Health Organization's Global Rotavirus Surveillance Network to update the estimate of childhood rotavirus mortality worldwide. The …
Author: Tate JE, Burton AH, Boschi-Pinto C, Steele AD, Duque J, Parashar UD
- A 20-year Retrospective Analysis of Epidemic Meningitis Surveillance Data in Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger
This poster, presented at the 2008 International Pathogenic Neisseria Conference, displays a detailed analysis of long-term surveillance data from Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger during the past 20 years in order to understand the dynamics of …
Author: Djingarey MH, Noazin S, Préziosi MP, et al.
- 23-valent Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine - WHO Position Paper
This report, published in the Weekly Epidemiological Record, provides essential background information on pneumococcal disease and gives the current World Health Organization position concerning the use of the 23-valent …
Author: World Health Organization
- Acute Respiratory Infections: Streptococcus pneumoniae
This web page provides information on pneumococal disease, including topics such as disease burden and vaccines.
Author: World Health Organization
- Acute Respiratory Infections (Update September 2009): Respiratory Syncytial Virus and Parainfluenza Viruses
This web page offers an overview of respiratory syncytial virus and parainfluenza viruses, detailing disease burden, virology, and vaccines from a global perspective. The annotated text included provides links to additional …
Author: World Health Organization
- Artemisinin Resistance in Plasmodium falciparum Malaria
This study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, compares the efficacies of two treatments--oral artesunate and artesunate followed by mefloquine--for uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Pailin, western Cambodia, and Wang Pha, …
Author: Dondorp AM, Nosten F, Yi P, et al.
- Assessing Disease Burden of JE: Population-Based Surveillance
This slide presentation provides an overview of the components of a population-based surveillance system for JE. The presentation should be used in conjunction with the World Health Organization's Recommended Standards for Surveillance of Selected …
- Assessment of Vaccine Preventable Disease Surveillance Systems in Georgia
This document provides a comprehensive assessment of the Georgian vaccine preventable disease (VPD) surveillance system and identifies major problems in the Georgian health system that limit the ability of current surveillance efforts …
Author: Georgia's Ministry of Labor, Health, and Social Affairs and National Center for Disease Control
- Association Between Pentavalent Rotavirus Vaccine and Severe Rotavirus Diarrhea Among Children in Nicaragua
This article, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, summarizes the first study to assess the impact of rotavirus vaccination in a developing country. The authors concluded that the vaccine could have a substantial impact on …
Author: Patel M, Pedreira C, De Oliveira LH, et al.
- Bacterial Diarrhea
This article, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, provides a description of bacterial diarrhea and evidence supporting various strategies to combat this problem. Also included are a list of pathogens that cause bacterial diarrhea and …
Author: DuPont HL
- Baseline Meningococcal Carriage in Burkina Faso Before the Introduction of a Meningococcal Serogroup A Conjugate Vaccine
The vaccine MenAfriVac™ has the potential to confer herd immunity by reducing carriage prevalence of epidemic strains. To better understand this phenomenon, the authors of this article, published in Clinical and Vaccine …
Author: Kristiansen PA, Diomandé F, Wei SC, et al.
- Burden and Aetiology of Diarrhoeal Disease in Infants and Young Children in Developing Countries (the Global Enteric Multicenter Study, GEMS): A Prospective, Case-Control Study
This article, published in The Lancet, reports on results of the Global Enteric Multicenter Study (GEMS), which was designed to identify the aetiology and population-based burden of pediatric diarrheal disease in sub-Saharan Africa and south Asia. …
Author: Kotloff KL, Nataro JP, Blackwelder WC, et al.
- Burden of Disease and Circulating Serotypes of Rotavirus Infection in Sub-Saharan Africa: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
To assess the potential impact of rotavirus vaccines in sub-Saharan Africa, researchers reviewed recent published data on rotavirus burden among children aged five years old and circulating serotypes in sub-Saharan Africa. Though many countries …
Author: Sanchez-Padilla E, Grais RF, Guerin PJ, et al.
- Burden of Disease Caused by Streptococcus Pneumoniae in Children Younger than 5 Years: Global Estimates
This article, published in The Lancet, releases new global burden of disease data for Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumococcus), a leading cause of bacterial pneumonia, meningitis, and sepsis in children worldwide. The results also include data at the …
Author: O'Brien KL, Wolfson LJ, Watt JP, et al.
- The Burden of JE in Southeast Asia: The Role of NGOs in the Fight Against the Disease
This presentation, given at the 2006 meeting of the American Society for Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, provides an overview of JE disease burden and the activities of the PATH JE project.
- Burden of Paediatric Rotavirus Gastroenteritis (RVGE) and Potential Benefits of a Universal Rotavirus Vaccination Programme with a Pentavalent Vaccine in Spain
This study, published in BMC Public Health, assesses the health outcomes and the economic impact of a universal rotavirus vaccination program with RotaTeq, a pentavalent rotavirus vaccine, against a no vaccination program in Spain. The study …
Author: Diez-Domingo J, Surinach NL, Alcalde NM, Betegon L, Largeron N, Trichard M
- The Burden of Pneumococcal Disease Among Latin American and Caribbean Children: Review of the Evidence
This article, published in the Pan American Journal of Public Health, estimates the annual burden of pneumonia, meningitis, and acute otitis media caused by pneumococcus in children less than five years of age in Latin America and the …
Author: Valenzuela MT, O'Loughlin R, De La Hoz F, et al.
- The Burden of Pneumococcal Disease and Cost-Effectiveness of a Pneumococcal Vaccine in Latin America and the Caribbean: A Review of the Evidence and a Preliminary Economic Analysis
This report estimates the burden and costs of pneumococcal disease in Latin America and the Caribbean in order to inform national health authorities about disease burden and the economic value of implementing a pneumococcal …
Author: Sabin Vaccine Institute
- Can We Defeat Meningococcal Disease in Low and Middle Income Countries?
This article, published in Vaccine, discusses the challenges of achieving control of meningococcal disease in low- and middle-income countries. The authors argue that in low-income countries the main challenge is a lack of sufficient epidemiological …
Author: Greenwood B, Chiarot E, MacLennan CA, O'Ryan M
- Carriage of Neisseria Meningitidis in 2 - 29 Years Old in Mali, Senegal and The Gambia
This poster, presented at the 16th International Pathogenic Neisseria Conference in the Netherlands, discusses a study that aimed to provide preliminary information regarding meningococcal carriage in West Africa and on the effect on …
Author: Caugant DA, Tamboura B, Tapia M, et al.
- The Case for Investment in Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli Vaccines
This market assessment aims to increase the awareness of biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies worldwide about the opportunities and potential markets that exist for low-cost and effective vaccines against enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli …
Author: PATH; BIO Ventures for Global Health
- Cervical Cancer, Cervical Dysplasia, Genital Warts: The Pathogenesis and Clinical Outcomes of HPV Anogenital Infections
This technical six-minute animation explains what HPV is, shows how it infects human tissue, and how disease progresses. It also provides disease burden information specific to HPV and cervical cancer.
Author: Sanofi Pasteur MSD
- Changes in Neisseria meningitidis Disease Epidemiology in the United States, 1998-2007: Implications for Prevention of Meningococcal Disease
This article, published in Clinical Infectious Diseases, describes the epidemiologic landscape of meningococcal disease in the United States from 1998 to 2007, including an analysis of the disease before and during the implementation of adolescent …
Author: Cohn AC, MacNeil JR, Harrison LH, et al.
- The Changing Epidemiology of Meningococcal Disease in North America 1945–2010
The epidemiology of Invasive Meningococcal Disease (IMD) is distinct in the United States and Canada compared with other countries. This review, published in Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics, describes the incidence, mortality, and …
Author: Baccarini C, Ternouth A, Wieffer H, Vyse A
- Climate Drives the Meningitis Epidemics Onset in West Africa
This study, published in PLoS Medicine, provides a clear, quantitative demonstration of the connections that exist between major meningococcal meningitis (MCM) epidemics and regional climate variability in Africa. This statistically robust …
Author: Sultan B, Labadi K, Guégan JF, Janicot S