Total results with these characteristics: 193
- 16th International Pathogenic Neisseria Conference: Recent Progress Toward Effective Meningococcal Disease Vaccines
This report, published in Human Vaccines, describes developments in meningococcal disease vaccines presented at the 16th International Pathogenic Neisseria Conference in Rotterdam in September 2008. It includes progress on an …
Author: Gorringe AR, van Alphen L
- A 20-year Retrospective Analysis of Epidemic Meningitis Surveillance Data in Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger
This poster, presented at the 2008 International Pathogenic Neisseria Conference, displays a detailed analysis of long-term surveillance data from Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger during the past 20 years in order to understand the dynamics of …
Author: Djingarey MH, Noazin S, Préziosi MP, et al.
- Adult Vaccination Resources Library
This online library gathers resources specifically related to adult immunization, providing healthcare providers and the general public with access to relevant resources that can be used in a clinic setting or for individual education. It includes …
Author: Immunization Action Coalition
- Adverse Effects of Vaccines: Evidence and Causality
Though generally very rare or minor, there are side effects, or “adverse effects,” associated with some vaccines. This report provides an analysis of more than 1,000 research articles that were reviewed to assess the risk of specific …
Author: Institute of Medicine
- Adverse Events Following Immunization During Mass Vaccination Campaigns at First Introduction of a Meningococcal A Conjugate Vaccine in Burkina Faso, 2010
MenAfriVac™ is a new meningococcal A conjugate vaccine developed to prevent meningitis outbreaks in Africa. It was first introduced during the last quarter of 2010 in three West African countries. The authors of this article, published in …
Author: Ouandaogo CR, Yaméogo TM, Diomandé FVK, et al.
- African Meningitis Belt
This map of the African continent displays the location of the Meningitis Belt, an area in Africa where a large number of meningitis epidemics occur.
Author: United Nations Country Team in Ethiopia
- Baseline Meningococcal Carriage in Burkina Faso Before the Introduction of a Meningococcal Serogroup A Conjugate Vaccine
The vaccine MenAfriVac™ has the potential to confer herd immunity by reducing carriage prevalence of epidemic strains. To better understand this phenomenon, the authors of this article, published in Clinical and Vaccine …
Author: Kristiansen PA, Diomandé F, Wei SC, et al.
- Broadly Protective Protein-Based Pneumococcal Vaccine Composed of Pneumolysin Toxoid-CbpA Peptide Recombinant Fusion Protein
Pneumococcus, meningococcus and Haemophilus influenzae cause a similar spectrum of infections in the ear, lung, blood, and brain. They share cross-reactive antigens that bind to the laminin receptor of the blood-brain barrier as a molecular basis …
Author: Mann B, Thornton J, Heath R, et al.
- Can Successful Vaccines Teach Us How to Induce Efficient Protective Immune Responses?
This article, published in Nature Medicine, reviews current successful vaccines and identifies their mechanisms of protection in the hopes of tackling the challenges posed by those infectious targets that have thus far escaped successful …
Author: Lambert PH, Liu M, Siegrist CA
- Can We Defeat Meningococcal Disease in Low and Middle Income Countries?
This article, published in Vaccine, discusses the challenges of achieving control of meningococcal disease in low- and middle-income countries. The authors argue that in low-income countries the main challenge is a lack of sufficient epidemiological …
Author: Greenwood B, Chiarot E, MacLennan CA, O'Ryan M
- Can We, Should We, Eradicate the Meningococcus?
The authors of this article, published in Vaccine, discuss how the introduction of vaccines against Neisseria meningitidis raises the question of whether disease caused by this obligate human bacterium can be controlled, eliminated, or even …
Author: Maiden MC, Frosch M
- Carriage of Neisseria Meningitidis in 2 - 29 Years Old in Mali, Senegal and The Gambia
This poster, presented at the 16th International Pathogenic Neisseria Conference in the Netherlands, discusses a study that aimed to provide preliminary information regarding meningococcal carriage in West Africa and on the effect on …
Author: Caugant DA, Tamboura B, Tapia M, et al.
- Changes in Neisseria meningitidis Disease Epidemiology in the United States, 1998-2007: Implications for Prevention of Meningococcal Disease
This article, published in Clinical Infectious Diseases, describes the epidemiologic landscape of meningococcal disease in the United States from 1998 to 2007, including an analysis of the disease before and during the implementation of adolescent …
Author: Cohn AC, MacNeil JR, Harrison LH, et al.
- The Changing Epidemiology of Meningococcal Disease in North America 1945–2010
The epidemiology of Invasive Meningococcal Disease (IMD) is distinct in the United States and Canada compared with other countries. This review, published in Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics, describes the incidence, mortality, and …
Author: Baccarini C, Ternouth A, Wieffer H, Vyse A
- Climate Drives the Meningitis Epidemics Onset in West Africa
This study, published in PLoS Medicine, provides a clear, quantitative demonstration of the connections that exist between major meningococcal meningitis (MCM) epidemics and regional climate variability in Africa. This statistically robust …
Author: Sultan B, Labadi K, Guégan JF, Janicot S
- Clinical Presentation of Meningococcal Disease in Childhood
This article, published in the Journal of Preventative Medicine and Hygiene, provides an overview of the disease burden of meningococcal disease and the various vaccines available for meningococcal disease serogroups. Although relatively rare, …
Author: Sabatini C, Bosis S, Semino M, Senatore L, Principi N, Esposito S
- Clonal Properties of Meningococci From Epidemic Meningitis
This article, published in Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, reviews the classification of epidemic strains of Neisseria meningitidis and the expression by meningococci of both constant and highly variable …
Author: Achtman M
- Clonal Waves of Neisseria Colonisation and Disease in the African Meningitis Belt: Eight-Year Longitudinal Study in Northern Ghana
This study, published in PLoS Medicine, aimed to determine how levels of colonization with different bacterial meingococcal serogroups change over time, and how the patterns of disease relate to such changes in the Kassena-Nankana District of …
Author: Leimkugel J, Hodgson A, Forgor AA, et al.
- Clones of Neisseria meningitidis Strains in Mali
This article, published in Médecine et Maladies Infectieuses, provides an overview of a cross-sectional, descriptive study to identify strains of Neisseria meningitidis isolated from 2005 to 2007 in Mali. Neisseria meningitidis appeared in 144 …
Author: Guindo I, Coulibaly A, Dao S, et al.
- Conducting Vaccine Clinical Trials in Sub-Saharan Africa: Operational Challenges and Lessons Learned From the Meningitis Vaccine Project
The Meningitis Vaccine Project (MVP) was established with the goal of developing, testing, licensing, and introducing an affordable group A meningococcal conjugate vaccine for Africa. The authors of this article, published in Vaccine, describe the …
Author: Marchetti E, Mazarin-Diop V, Chaumont J, et al.
- Conjugate Vaccine Introduction in the African Meningitis Belt: Meeting Surveillance Objectives
This article, published in Tropical Medicine & International Health, asserts that surveillance systems and techniques for diagnosing bacterial meningitis and pneumococcal disease in the African meningitis belt have improved greatly over the …
Author: Mueller JE
- Conjugate Vaccines
This review, published in Expert Review of Vaccines, looks at what has been learned from developing conjugate vaccines against Haemophilus influenzae type b, Streptococcus pneumoniae, and group C Neisseria meningitidis that could be useful for the …
Author: Lockhart S
- Control of Epidemic Meningococcal Disease. WHO Practical Guidelines. 2nd Edition
These guidelines, designed for physicians, laboratory workers, and health care administrators, provide comprehensive information on epidemiology and standard techniques for diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and control of meningococcal disease …
Author: World Health Organization
- The Cost and Public Health Burden of Invasive Meningococcal Disease Outbreaks: A Systematic Review
Invasive meningococcal disease (IMD) is a serious disease with a rapid onset, high mortality rate, and risk of long-term complications. The authors of this article, published in Pharmacoeconomics, systematically reviewed the literature on the costs …
Author: Anonychuk A, Woo G, Vyse A, Demarteau N, Tricco AC
- Cost-effectiveness of Conjugate Meningococcal Vaccination Strategies in the United States
This article, published in the journal Pediatrics, discusses a study to evaluate and compare the projected health and economic impact of meningococcal conjugate A/C/Y/W-135 (MCV-4) vaccination of adolescents, toddlers, and infants in the United …
Author: Shepard CW, Ortega-Sanchez IR, Scott RD 2nd, Rosenstein NE; ABCs Team