Total results with these characteristics: 191
- 13-Valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine: A Review of Its Use in Infants, Children, and Adolescents
This article, published in Pediatric Drugs, reviews the use of the 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13) in infants, children, and adolescents. The author states the safety and reactogenicity of PCV13 to be generally similar to that of …
Author: Plosker GL
- 23-valent Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine - WHO Position Paper
This report, published in the Weekly Epidemiological Record, provides essential background information on pneumococcal disease and gives the current World Health Organization position concerning the use of the 23-valent …
Author: World Health Organization
- Accelerating New Vaccine Development Against Pneumonia and Other Pneumococcal Diseases
This fact sheet highlights PATH's work to develop new vaccines against pneumococcal disease, one of the leading causes of death in children under five in the developing world.
- Acute Respiratory Infections: Streptococcus pneumoniae
This web page provides information on pneumococal disease, including topics such as disease burden and vaccines.
Author: World Health Organization
- Acute Respiratory Infections: The Forgotten Pandemic
Published in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, this article discusses the large role pneumonia plays in the deaths of children in the developing world and the need to address these deaths through the use of prevention and treatment …
Author: World Health Organization
- Antibody-Independent, Interleukin-17A-Mediated, Cross-serotype Immunity to Pneumococci in Mice Immunized Intranasally with the Cell Wall Polysaccharide
Published in the journal Infection and Immunity, this article shows that C-Ps given intranasally with mucosal adjuvant increased the resistance of mice to experimental nasopharyngeal colonization by capsulated S. pneumoniae of serotype 6B.
Author: Malley R, Srivastava A, Lipsitch M, et al.
- Bacterial Pneumonia Vaccines and Childhood Pneumonia: Are We Winning, Refining, or Redefining?
Published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases, this article provides an overview of the diagnostic challenges of bacterial pneumonia and highlight the need for refining the current diagnostic approach to ensure adequate epidemiological surveillance of …
Author: Obaro S, Madhi S
- Broadly Protective Protein-Based Pneumococcal Vaccine Composed of Pneumolysin Toxoid-CbpA Peptide Recombinant Fusion Protein
Pneumococcus, meningococcus and Haemophilus influenzae cause a similar spectrum of infections in the ear, lung, blood, and brain. They share cross-reactive antigens that bind to the laminin receptor of the blood-brain barrier as a molecular basis …
Author: Mann B, Thornton J, Heath R, et al.
- Burden of Disease Caused by Streptococcus Pneumoniae in Children Younger than 5 Years: Global Estimates
This article, published in The Lancet, releases new global burden of disease data for Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumococcus), a leading cause of bacterial pneumonia, meningitis, and sepsis in children worldwide. The results also include data at the …
Author: O'Brien KL, Wolfson LJ, Watt JP, et al.
- The Burden of Pneumococcal Disease Among Latin American and Caribbean Children: Review of the Evidence
This article, published in the Pan American Journal of Public Health, estimates the annual burden of pneumonia, meningitis, and acute otitis media caused by pneumococcus in children less than five years of age in Latin America and the …
Author: Valenzuela MT, O'Loughlin R, De La Hoz F, et al.
- The Burden of Pneumococcal Disease and Cost-Effectiveness of a Pneumococcal Vaccine in Latin America and the Caribbean: A Review of the Evidence and a Preliminary Economic Analysis
This report estimates the burden and costs of pneumococcal disease in Latin America and the Caribbean in order to inform national health authorities about disease burden and the economic value of implementing a pneumococcal …
Author: Sabin Vaccine Institute
- Calling the Shots: A Review of Global Immunisation Initiatives and Future Priorities
This report reviews the successes and challenges of current global immunization programs, with a particular focus on: pneumonia, diarrheal disease, polio, measles, and rubella. It argues that while there is much to be applauded, there is a funding …
Author: Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Can Successful Vaccines Teach Us How to Induce Efficient Protective Immune Responses?
This article, published in Nature Medicine, reviews current successful vaccines and identifies their mechanisms of protection in the hopes of tackling the challenges posed by those infectious targets that have thus far escaped successful …
Author: Lambert PH, Liu M, Siegrist CA
- Colonisation Endpoints in Streptococcus pneumoniae Vaccine Trials
This article, published in Vaccine, reviews recent developments in the area of using colonization as an endpoint for evaluating vaccine efficacy against Streptococcus pneumoniae. The authors also provide practical guidelines for estimation methods …
Author: Auranen K, Rinta-Kokko H, Goldblatt D, et al.
- Conjugate Vaccine Introduction in the African Meningitis Belt: Meeting Surveillance Objectives
This article, published in Tropical Medicine & International Health, asserts that surveillance systems and techniques for diagnosing bacterial meningitis and pneumococcal disease in the African meningitis belt have improved greatly over the …
Author: Mueller JE
- Conjugate Vaccines
This review, published in Expert Review of Vaccines, looks at what has been learned from developing conjugate vaccines against Haemophilus influenzae type b, Streptococcus pneumoniae, and group C Neisseria meningitidis that could be useful for the …
Author: Lockhart S
- The Contribution of Specific Pneumococcal Serogroups to Different Disease Manifestations: Implications for Conjugate Vaccine Formulation and Use, Part II
To assess whether certain serogroups of Streptococcus pneumoniae are preferentially associated with specific disease manifestations, we analyzed all recent pneumococcal disease studies and assessed the relative frequency of isolation of each …
Author: Hausdorff WP, Bryant J, Paradiso P, Siber G
- Coordinated Surveillance and Detection of Pneumococcal and Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) Disease in Developing Countries
This supplemental issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases provides numerous articles on the surveillance and detection of pneumococcal and Haemophilus influenzae type b disease in developing countries. Topics include progress and challenges in disease …
Author: Black S, Knoll MD, eds.
- Current Concepts in Host-Microbe Interaction Leading to Pneumococcal Pneumonia
This article, published in Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, reviews new insights into the pathogenesis of pneumococcal disease. The authors discuss new mechanisms by which microbial factors govern the ability of pneumococcus to progress from …
Author: Vernatter J, Pirofski L
- Current Knowledge Regarding the Investigational 13-valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine
This article, published in Expert Reviews of Vaccines, explains the latest knowledge about the investigational 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV-13). It outlines the composition of the vaccine and the trials it has undergone to date …
Author: Dinleyici EC, Yargic ZA
- Decline in Invasive Pneumococcal Disease After the Introduction of Protein-Polysaccharide Conjugate Vaccine
Published in the New England Journal of Medicine, this study examined population-based data from the Active Bacterial Core Surveillance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to evaluate changes in the burden of invasive disease, defined …
Author: Whitney C, Farley M, Hadler J, et al.
- Decline in Pneumonia Admissions After Routine Childhood Immunization with Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine in the USA: A Time-Series Analysis
Published in The Lancet, this article assesses the effect of routine infant immunization with seven-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) on rates of all-cause and pneumococcal pneumonia admissions. ABSTRACT ONLY. (Learn how users in …
Author: Grijalva CG, Nuorti JP, Arbogast PG, et al.
- Developing New Vaccines Against Pneumonia and Other Pneumococcal Diseases
This fact sheet, issued by PATH, outlines PATH's pneumococcal vaccine project from a technical perspective, including an overview of PATH's vaccine development portfolio, research activities, and partners to support the development of vaccines …
- Development and Clinical Evaluation of Prevnar 13, a 13-Valent Pneumocococcal CRM197 Conjugate Vaccine
This article, published in the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, discusses the development, clinical evaluation, and postlicensure impact of the 13-valent pneumococcal CRM(197) protein conjugate vaccine, PCV13, (Prevnar 13®). ABSTRACT …
Author: Gruber WC, Scott DA, Emini EA
- Development and Implementation of a National Programme for the Management of Severe and Very Severe Pneumonia in Children in Malawi
This article, published in PLoS Medicine, provides an overview of the development and implementation of a national program for the management of severe and very severe childhood pneumonia in Malawi. Based on a successful delivery model used by the …
Author: Enarson PM, Gie R, Enarson DA, Mwansambo C