- Durable HWTS devices withstand frequent cleaning with no degradation in performance and minimal aesthetic or functional wear.
- Product materials withstand frequent (up to daily) cleaning, at times using abrasive substances.
- Materials and surface treatments (color, texture) for exterior parts minimize visible dirt and dust.
- Interior materials and surfaces discourage buildup of biofilms and scale from hard water.
- Components at risk of clogging due to scale or physical obstruction can be disassembled and cleaned by users.
- The device has no crevices for microbial growth that cannot be reached by conventional cleaning methods. Ideally, all part radii should be no smaller than 6 mm so that everything is cleanable with a fingertip.
Notes and exceptions
- HWTS devices were observed being cleaned along with other kitchen utensils on a daily basis in India.
- Abrasives such as ash used to clean other kitchen implements may be applied to HWTS parts as well.
- Gloss finishes and dark colors emphasize dirt, dust, or abrasive wear on a product. Choose light colors, matte finishes, and frosted translucent (versus clear transparent) components to minimize visible wear.
Household durables are often cleaned with abrasives. Plastics are sometimes treated more gently. Photo: PATH.