HWTS Design Guidelines
Fit in home environment
- HWTS product design incorporates attributes appropriate to the user’s environment.
- Perceived user value at the point of purchase is consistent with use experience over time in the household.
- Product can be customized to fit the user's home environment.
- Product does not require a connection to:
- Electric supply.
- Piped water supply.
- Device can be set up, operated, and maintained without the need for tools, written instructions, or outside assistance.
- Device can be located anywhere in the house.
- No water is spilled when filling, operating, or dispensing water from the device.
- Replacement parts and repairs are available locally.
- The product can be operated in low-light conditions.
- Product performs consistently in the foreseeable range of operating environments (heat, humidity, dryness, dust, etc.).
- Users do not perceive product as a significant theft risk.
Notes and exceptions
- Households may not have tables, shelves, counters, or stands where products can be placed. Available space may be limited.
- Daily cleaning is a behavioral norm in Indian households. Compliance with other cleaning frequencies (weekly, biweekly) should not be presumed.
- Functional indicators (fill level, malfunction, and required maintenance) should be able to be seen in low-light conditions.
- Product is adapted to high dust or dirt environment (e.g., designed with minimal crevices for lodging of dirt particles).
For the most up-to-date information, access the guidelines online: