HWTS Design Guidelines
Access to safe drinking water
- Safe drinking water is available on demand and in sufficient quantities to meet the needs of user households throughout the day.
- Threshold safe water container volume is 9 L. Greater volume is more desirable.
- ~50 ml/min flow rate.
- Dispensing mechanism is operable by all household members.
Notes and exceptions
- Users prefer that ~250 ml of treated water to be treated on demand to satisfy thirst but will tolerate waiting to process an entire container of water.
- Larger volumes of treated water are needed episodically during the day—primarily at meal times and when users return from work.
- Indicators (e.g., mark noting time to refill) on containers that inform users to refill upper chamber prior to the depletion of the lower chamber may reduce user concerns for sufficient safe water.
For the most up-to-date information, access the guidelines online: